Friday, May 18, 2012

Movie Review: Columbus Circle (2012)

Though "Columbus Circle" went straight to DVD I think this movie shouldn't be overlooked.  It's actually one of the best thrillers I've seen lately.  The story centers on Abigail (Selma Blair) who is an heiress who is hiding from the world in her Columbus Circle penthouse apartment.  When her elderly neighbor across the hall dies Abigail must face the police and then the new couple  Charlie and Lilian (Jason Lee and Amy Smart) who move into the now vacated apartment.  Things aren't what they seem and Abigail faces challeges from the outside world she can no longer ignore.

I thought Selma Blair did a good job playing the agoraphobic Abigail and I also liked Giovanni Ribsi in a supporting role as the detective investigating the elderly neighbor's death.  I think the writing was pretty good as there are several twists and the movie held my attention to the finish.  The film has minimal language and violence.  Bottom line: Don't overlook this little-known but satisfying thriller - I give it B-.

1 comment:

  1. Loved this movie. Interesting and apt ending. Always like Ribisi. Enjoy his acting and movies.

    Frustrated at times by Abigail's naïveté, but her actions were (of course) part of the script. :-/

    Enjoyed Selma Blair wheb she was in Legally Blonde.

    Very good supporting cast.

    I'd watch again.

    A-

    ReplyDelete