Monday, June 17, 2013

Movie Review: Lincoln (2012)

"Lincoln" is Steven Spielburg's historical drama covering four months of President Abraham Lincoln's life with the focus on his efforts to pass the Thirteenth Amendment.  Daniel Day Lewis stars as President Lincoln who is concerned that the impending end of the Civil War will end his efforts to end slavery through constitutional amendment.  Sally Fields co-stars as First Lady Mary Todd Lincoln and Tommy Lee Jones costars as Republican Congressman Thaddeus Stevens, a fierce abolitionist.

There's so much that I liked about this film but I have to begin with the lead actor, Daniel Day Lewis, who really embodied President Lincoln and brought him to life.  Great performance.  I liked Sally Fields but was blown away with Tommy Lee Jones.  He was really great especially in several key scenes.  Look for a small appearance by Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Robert Todd Lincoln, the President's eldest son.  Overall I thought the direction, costuming, and cinematography were great as history was really brought to life.  My only quibble is that the film really felt long as if it could have ended several times before it actually did.  I'm sure there was so much material that it was difficult to edit down but I felt like I was watching a film that could have been made into a two-part mini-series.

Great acting though it felt a bit long-winded - A-

1 comment:

  1. I loved this movie. Some thought it slow but I liked savoring Lincoln and all the rest.

    ReplyDelete