Sunday, June 23, 2013

Movie Review: Lola Versus (2012)

"Lola Versus" is an independent film starring Greta Gerwig as Lola, whose life is turned upside down after her long-time boyfriend turned fiance breaks off their engagement.  Suddenly Lola is single for the first time in a long time and she struggles to find her way.

This film is promoted as a comedy but I really think it's more of a female-centered drama.  There are humorous parts, but I caution that the humor is very generational.  Some viewers will definitely be left scratching their heads.  I liked Gerwig in the title role as the very confused and self-involved Lola.  Zoe Lister-Jones is great in a supporting role as Alice, one of Lola's friends.  Look for Debra Winger in a small part playing Lola's mother.

I liked this film but I understand some of the mixed reviews.  I think billing it as a "comedy" was a mistake.  It's very much a drama with a touch of humor.  This one is not for everyone - solid B.

No comments:

Post a Comment